Opportunity for permanent residence

For many students, studying in Canada appears to be one component of a longer term plan to find a job in Canada after graduation and, eventually, apply for permanent resident status. If you want to stay in Canada to work after you graduate you need to apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP).



There are a number of programs that can help you make Canada your permanent home:

  • Under the Canadian Experience Class Program, international graduates of Canadian institutions can apply for permanent resident status in Canada. You may be eligible if you graduated from a post-secondary program at an eligible institution and have at least one year of work experience in Canada, after graduation, in a managerial, professional or a technical or trade occupation.
  • Under the Federal Skilled Worker Program, you may be eligible to qualify for permanent resident status, if you have the skills and experience to help meet Canada’s labour market needs. If you plan on living in the province of Québec, click here for more information.
  • Under the Provincial Nominee Program, you may apply to the province or territory where you wish to settle. If your application is accepted by the province or the territory, that is, if your skills meet the province’s or the territory’s specific economic and labour market needs – you may be nominated for immigration under this program.  Once nominated, you will need to apply for permanent resident status with CIC and an Officer will assess your application based on Canadian immigration regulations.

Canada offers top quality programs at globally competitive prices that will put you on the path to your chosen career while giving you the experience of a lifetime. For further details, and to asses your eligibility for permanent resident status in Canada, visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada by clicking here.


You may also use the Come to Canada tool to see which immigration option may be best for you!


(Source: Citizenship and Immigration Canada)

Click to rate this post!